Total Pageviews

Friday 21 December 2012

#54: Poetry in Motion


1. Pressure

A bead of sweat abseils his redcurrant cheek,
as the searing-hot sun beats on the green;
the toil and trouble of a tension-packed week
now hang on the branch of this poker-faced scene.

In practice he knows he could sink this with ease
– not having to draw on much of his guile,
but now with so many rock faces to please
the five-footer seems more like a mile.

He’s fine with the line, he’s been here before,
the pace just a nice gentle rap;
all that he needs to claim the top score
is to summon the courage and tap.

With a mound in his throat he takes firm control
and guides the ball to the heart of the hole.



2. Yellow Fever

Back and forth the yellow fleck flies,
bruised and battered by giants in white;
someone have mercy he can’t win a prize,
but Hewitt and Safin are here for a fight.

‘Oooh,’ the crowd cry; ‘aarrgh,’ they reply
when the ball whistles past in a flash;
the end of his court life may soon be nigh
as the big Russian gives him a bash.

The poor little mite has done nothing wrong,
but the awesome Aussie’s no room to be nice;
he tries a cute lob – could it go long?
No it’s right on the line to add some more spice.

Then Safin’s retrieval goes into the net –
and the small amarillo has lost him the set.



3. Doing Time

Doing time in my academic prison,
counting the days ’til a joyful release;
keeping my head down and some optimism,
praying I'll make it still in one piece.

Deadlines are looming, thick essays to write:
a relentless toil is taking its toll;
the cause of many a sleepless night,
I sling down the coffee and get on a roll.

A sentence is crafted, another suggested,
but how many more will I have to serve?
The jury’s retired, the judge is long rested,
time’s of the essence so just keep your nerve.

The reality is life’s all about learning,
so take on the challenge and see through the cloud;
serve out your time and fuel up a yearning
to tackle the world and make them all proud.



4. Doing Time (Pantoum)

Doing time in my academic gaol,
counting the days ’til a joyful release;
keeping my head down I know I can’t fail,
praying I’ll make it still in one piece.

Counting the days ’til a joyful release,
a relentless toil is taking its toll;
praying I’ll make it still in one piece,
I sling down the coffee and get on a roll.

A relentless toil is taking its toll:
deadlines are looming, thick essays to write;
I sling down the coffee and get on a roll,
not ready for many a sleepless night.

A sentence is crafted, another suggested,
keeping my head down I know I can't fail;
but how many more will I have to serve,
doing time in my academic gaol?



5. Allergic

Lactose is lethal, a ghoul in the gut,
scaring the life from the stomach’s A team;
minus the lactase you’re stuck in a rut,
trying to fend off the milk, cheese and cream.

Wheat is a worry, a grain of some clout,
foremost in many a banquet or feast;
the acid in citrus may throw you right out
of internal calm – and then there is yeast.

The raiser of bread can play havoc inside,
rousing an army of bad against good.
Cut out the vino; you’ll help stem the tide
of wild bamboo shoots infesting your blood.

What can you gorge on? The options are few –
just oats, nuts and veggies, not much to excite;
but don’t overdo it, you'll repel all those too.
Just maintain a balance, the future’s still bright.



6. Red Tape Blues

I’m rockin’ and rollin’ just tryin’ ta get in,
If ya didn’t know better you’d think it a sin;
A walk in the park I knew it’d not be,
No gift-wrapped invite ta jump in for free.

But could I predict they’d make it this hard?
A war of attrition, a door that seems jarred;
A forest of forms for a lumberjack’s chance,
Expecting a call for a song and a dance.

What would you do, if put in my shoes?
Tryin’ t’escape when you’ve nothin’ ta lose;
Keep those eyes fixed on the old Maple Leaf,
Stick ta your guns when it’s like pulling teeth.

All grand advice thanks for your time,
If nothing else I can make this thing rhyme;
But in the event I’m still waiting for news,
Trying ta shake off those Red Tape Blues.

1 comment:

Nancy T said...

"Red Tape Blues" is my favourite. Simple but good with a compelling plaintive tone. Perfect title.